Hey! Happy Autumn everyone, how was your summer? I’m sorry I’ve been away so long, I was in desperate need of some time off and just…be. Do you ever feel like that? But when a new season arrives, I get obsessed with new beginnings – a new haircut, new shoes (any excuse), a new project – something to mark a new month.
- SUMO SQUAT
This variation of the squat gets deeper into the glutes and also works the inner thighs, each repetition helping that butt lift a little higher!
- Stand with a wide stance, feet out wider than hip width apart
- Turn your toes out to 45 degrees
- Keeping your shoulders back and abs engaged sit back as if you are sitting in a chair, get as low as you can go
- Make sure to keep your weight in your heels the whole time
- Return to standing and repeat as many as you can in 60 seconds
- You can add weight to challenge yourself
2. DONKEY KICK
This glute activator will tone and hone your butt and legs, the progression to plank also makes it an awesome compound move that works the abs at the same time.
- Come onto all fours with your hands under your shoulders and your knees below your hips
- Bring your right knee into your chest and kick your leg straight back behind you pushing your heel up as high as you can
- Make sure your hips don’t rotate and stay parallel to the ground
- Repeat for 60 seconds on one side and 60 seconds on the other
- To make it more challenging you can do this move in plank position on your hands and toes
3. GLUTE BRIDGE
This move is awesome for the backs of your legs and also focuses deep into the glutes giving you a lifted bum. An added bonus is that it also works the core and back… a winner!
- Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor and your knees bent. Make sure your feet are underneath your knees.
- Place a heavy dumbbell on your hips (6-10kg)
- Push your hips up towards the ceiling creating a straight line through your back and neck and focusing on shifting your body weight onto your shoulders
- Hold for 10 seconds really focusing on squeezing your butt cheeks and slowly lower down to the start position.
- Repeat as many as you can for 60 seconds
4. CURTSY LUNGE
This variation of the lunge will get you a perky butt in no time. It not only challenges the glutes but also the backs of the legs and the inner thighs.
- Start standing with your feet hip width apart
- Step your left leg diagonally behind you and to the right so your thighs cross over
- Make sure the right knee is alignment with your right ankle and your hips stay facing forward
- Return to the start position and repeat as many as you can for 60 seconds. Then change legs
5. WALL SIT
This is an awesome move you can do anywhere that has walls!
- Find a wall or flat surface and stand against it with your shoulders and back flat
- Slowly lower yourself down the wall shuffling your feet forward as you go and keeping them hip width apart
- Stop when your thighs are parallel to the floor and make sure your knees are not going over your toes
- Brace your abs and hold the wall sit for 60 seconds or longer if you can handle it! You can make it more challenging by placing a weight on your hips