If crystal-clear waters and fine dining is on your holiday hit-list, then the luxury Maritim Hotel in Turtle Bay is an idyllic location to sink your toes into the sand and dream away your everyday routine. Framed by 60 acres of tropical gardens and flanked by the turquoise depths of the Indian Ocean, this all-inclusive resort offers a truly memorable five-star experience, and I was lucky enough to spend four days enjoying what they had to offer.
The hotel prides itself on luxury touches; enjoy a welcoming fruit cocktail on arrival as you slip into a warm rose petal bath, and be prepared to find new gifts left daily in your suite. After a day of basking in the tropical sun, there’s nothing better than finding a jar of home-made banana cookies to tuck into before the evening begins.
Days can be spent sunbathing on the white, palm-fringed beaches before heading to the hotel’s Tropical Flower Spa for a sensory, bespoke treatment. Have a one-on-one consultation with a spa therapist to choose and create your own essential oils which will then be used in your treatment. Recline on the cushioned loungers behind the waterfall and if you’re feeling really adventurous, dare to walk across the underwater stone path to give your feet an unforgettable treatment.
You could also book one of the hotel’s ‘Moments’ experiences, such as a romantic dinner for two on the jetty complete with personal butler, or horse riding in the clear shallow waters. If you want to do a little exploring, visit the city of Port Louis for a shopping trip by speed boat (it’s the only way to travel if the helicopter is parked for the day!). Head back to Maritim and take a short golf buggy ride to enjoy the relaxed ambience of the colonial-style Château Mon Désir restaurant, perfectly located for stunning views over the historical Ruins of Balaclava and the Citron River as you dine. A firm favourite with celebs and world-leaders alike, the eight-course tasting menu is a-must for foodies to sample polenta, fresh lobster, and expertly cooked pork tenderloin. Plus, you’ll get to sample delicious modern French cuisine with a Mauritian twist.
As luxury hotels go, the Maritim hotel is one of the very best. Discreet, personal and attentive, it provides everything you need for an unforgettable trip. The country itself provides a breath-taking backdrop but the hotel positions itself perfectly to ensure you’re immersed in the traditions with every modern comfort you could ask for.
WHAT TO DO
1) Rise and shine for an organised early morning trek to the breathtaking slopes of the nearby Trou aux Cerfs volcano.
2) If you don’t fancy trekking, take a helicopter fl ight over the volcano so you can see the tropical landscape from above.
3) Shop in nearby Port Louis. The Le Caudan Waterfront is the place to go for designer boutiques, while the Central Market is excellent to browse for basketry, spices and a whole variety of souvenirs.
4) Make the most of the hotel’s equestrian centre and enjoy a romantic horseback ride together on the beach.
5) Explore the south of Mauritius, famous for breathtaking scenery, wildlife and nature reserves, one of which includes a crocodile and giant tortoise park